http://www.makepovertyhistory.org

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Visit Uncle BI in hospital... nurses and love & passion to serve the sick

Today got a sms from Arne saying that Uncle BI had stroke last Friday and is still in Changi Hospital go for therapy and doctors still need to carryout more scan.

Decided to visit him straight after work. Did not know what to expect. Manage to reach there at 7pm. And was happy to see Uncle BI sitting up straight in this bed. But it can be clearly seen in his movement that he was having problem with his right side body.

He can’t close his right hand properly and could not hold a small bottle of water and walking is another issue too. He was feeling a bit down and grumpy about what had happen as all this business plans & appointment had to be postpone (until do not know when).

I was doing my best to advice him to take it as a time out from his business, start all over again, take things one step at a time. At the same time I guess it is an overwhelming experience of one to be zapped from a able person into a nearly half paralyzed person. I think it made me fearful when I thought about it to being in that position. For me all I can do for now is to keep living a health life style.

For Uncle BI, I guess he needs lots of therapy to rehabilitate his body and hopeful the doctors can find out the cause of the stroke.

While we were talking uncle BI pointed out there were many nurses from China. And they took care of their patients very well. Mmm… felt partly Uncle BI was trying to hint to me that they (the nurses) are nice girls too (why not get to know them…) …same old uncle BI.

So to divert the topic I mention that the nurses have a lot to handle in their wards. It is a challenging duty to take care of the sick and be there for them. Interestingly he mention that one can not enter into nursing due to money but ones love of helping people. Otherwise one will not last in this nursing profession.

As I sat in the ward and looking at the nurses take care of the patients a certain strong sense of respect of them came over me…and I felt I do not have that high level of love and passion (even thought I been on mission trip helping unfortunate people) that they the nurse have in serving and taking care of these people in their worst condition. Kind of place me in shame… but I guess God made us different and might have wired us differently to serve this world… so some people are more wired to serve the sick. As I look at the patients I pray they will get well soon… and there that feeling of compassion that I felt in Aceh and in Old Wanka that pop up in my heart… I guess what father JP said is true… we are born for love (call to love)… there will be that in-build love in us (be it big or small) as we are made in the image of Him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home