http://www.makepovertyhistory.org

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Franciscan Tau

Recently I was sort of interested in finding out more about St Francis of Assisi life, and went checking through the local Franciscan web site (http://www.franciscans.org.sg/) for some information.

On one of the websites where it mention about symbols in the Franciscan, I came a across familiar object which I would usually call a cross. “Isn’t that the cross I’m wearing?” I said to myself. And over here for the Franciscans they call it a Tau?

Back tracking a bit, about a year back my mom had given me silver metal crucifix to wear (for guidance and protection). But always felt uncomfortable wearing it. At the same time a friend of mine Eugene which I had initially agreed to join him for vocation retreat at St Mary of Angels had pass to me a Franciscan calendar and this wooden “T” shape like cross (well almost like a cross). Felt more comfortable with it and also like the wooden nature color of it. So from then on I wore this wooden one and kept the silver one at my bed side.

Some friends who see me wearing it will ask “Why are you wearing a letter “T”?” and I can only tell them actually it is a cross (well I’m partly right).

Reading more into the Tau symbol I found that:

· The last letter of the Hebrew alphabet represented the fulfillment of the entire revealed Word of God. This letter was called the Tau (or Taw, pronounced "tav" in Hebrew)

· Prophet Ezekiel, who spoke of the faithful being marked with the sign of the Tau as an indication that they belonged to God (Ezekiel 9:4-6).

· Signifies God the Father and is related to the name of the Lord.

· In early Christian work, the Tau denotes the word of God.

· It is connected with the crucifixion and is a symbol of Jesus’ willingness to die for us.

· Concretely, the Tau is rejection of selfishness and pride. It is joy in serving one’s family and compassion for the poor. In other words, it is Jesus alive in us. (Gal 6:14)

· Today, followers of St Francis, as laity or religious, would wear the tau cross as an exterior sign, a "seal" of their own commitment, and a remembrance of the victory of Christ over evil through daily self-sacrificing love. The sign of contradiction has become the sign of hope, a witness of fidelity until the end of our lives.

After reading these about the Tau it make me feel more depth, more rooted and more meaningful wearing it and wanting to serve Him more.

This wooden “T” shape cross... is a Tau. ;-)
Links:
http://www.franciscans.org.sg/news/?page_id=22 ,
http://www.san-francesco.org/tau_eng.html

Most High, glorious God,
enlighten the shadows of my heart,
and grant unto me a right faith,
a certain hope and perfect charity,
sense and understanding,Lord,
so that I may accomplish
Thy holy and true command
- St Francis of Assisi

1 Comments:

Blogger antonia said...

wow! That was very interesting! I have a 'T' necklace too that I used to wear during my teenage years, and I although I knew that it represented a cross, I never knew the full symbolism!

February 02, 2006 4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home